Pecan Crusted Pork Tenderloin Pinwheels with Carolina Mustard Sauce

This inaugural post is a recipe is from Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book.  I decided to start this blog after having completed this cook, as a result I plan to have better photos in the future.  This was a fantastic recipe that will definitely become one of my "go-to" recipes.

This recipe has two parts and the first being the Carolina Mustard Sauce which should be made at least 24 hours in advance.



Ingredients:
3/4 Cup Yellow Mustard
1/2 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp Ketchup
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Hot Sauce ----> I used my favorite, Cholula



Now for the main event (the actual Pinwheels) you will need the following.

1 Pork Tenderloin (I used a Pork Tenderloin roast because it's what I had in the freezer)
6 bacons strips (since I had a larger cut of tenderloin I used 12)
Carolina Mustard Sauce
1 Cup Finely Chopped Pecans
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Start by cutting the tenderloin into 6 long strips approximately 1/4 inch thick. The slices should be similar in shape to the bacon. Then lay the bacon on the cutting board and place a tenderloin slice on top. Now roll the tenderloin into a pinwheel medallion. Secure with two toothpicks and slice in half.





In a small mixing bowl combine the salt, pepper, and pecans.  Set aside 1 cup of the Carolina Mustard Sauce and apply remaining sauce to the outside of the pinwheels. Coat the tenderloin pinwheels with the pecan mixture.



Prepare your grill for direct grilling at medium-high heat (375 to 400 F). Place the pinwheels on the grill and cook each side for 7 to 8 minutes or until the edges of the bacon begin to crisp.





Serve with the reserved sauce drizzled over each pinwheel.



This was fun to put together and even better to eat!  To make this recipe easier I suggest staging it. Make the sauce two days before. Slice the tenderloin and chop the pecans the night before. Then combine everything the day you plan to cook.  If it's done all at once it may be a little time consuming and overwhelming.

Thanks to my Dad and Laura for getting me the Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book for Christmas! I would recommend this cookbook to any grilling and or smoking enthusiast.

www.bigbobgibson.com


Comments