Grilled Fish Tacos

I was hooked the first time I tried fish tacos. Since that first time I have learned that not all fish tacos are created equal.  Most places like to fry the fish but my problem with fried fish tacos is that the grease and batter dominate the taste. My favorite fish tacos have grilled fish, slaw, and a chipotle sauce.  Being that excellent fish tacos are few and far between I've decided its time I start working on creating my own grilled fish taco recipe.

This week I will not be providing a recipe as it's a work in progress.  While I thought my first attempt at a fish taco with a recipe that is all my own was good  it wasn't perfect.  After some research I created my own rub, slaw, and chipotle sauce.

So let's start with the rub. I wanted to keep this simple while providing some zing that would start immediately and them linger. So I used a combination of salt, white pepper, and cayenne pepper.  The zing was perfect but I had too much salt on this first try.



Then I made a red cabbage slaw which consisted of red cabbage, onion, lime juice, cider vinegar, and olive oil. With this part of the recipe I need to work on the cabbage-onion balance.



The chipotle sauce might have been my most anticipated part of this recipe.  Kendra swears this had good flavor but I think it needs some work.  This sauce was comprised of mayonnaise, garlic, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, and lime juice.  My issue with the chipotle sauce was they mayo and garlic.  For the mayonnaise I used Hellman's and it's distinct taste dominated the sauce.  With the garlic I used a short cut with canned minced garlic and next time I will mince a clove myself.



As for the fish itself I used tilapia and it was fantastic off of the grill!



For my first attempt at creating my own recipe I was pleased. I have ideas to improve it and when it's perfect I'll share it!



If you took the time to read again this week thank you!

Comments