Cedar Planked Salmon





It's sunny, upper 60s, and the smell of toasted cedar is filling the neighborhood with kids smiling and playing in the yard as the backdrop.  It's Friday evening and life is enjoyable!

So it's been quite some time since I posted a blog.  This will be a fairly simple recipe and an easy cook.  Yesterday when I heard on the radio that the local fish market had fresh Atlantic Salmon on sale I decided grilled salmon was long past due and that I needed to blog about it.

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs Fresh Salmon
1/8 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 tsp Lemon Pepper
1 Cedar Plank (soak in water for 1 hour).



Okay, let me be honest, the above ingredient measurements are totally made up. I've done it several times, it's my own recipe, and I wing it every time.  I believe next time I should actually quantify all of my ingredients.

To prep the salmon (leave the skin on), place the salmon skin side down and apply the oil to the surface of the meat. Then apply the brown sugar as a rub and do the same with the lemon pepper.  At this point the meat is ready for the grill.



As for readying the grill. You will want to set the grill up for direct grilling.  But you're going to want a medium temp, so don't load the grill with too many coals.

Once the fire is ready, the grill heated, and temperate controlled place the cedar plank on the grill rack directly above the coals.  Monitor the salmon and when it flakes easily with a fork it is done.  From the experiences I've had the salmon is normally ready in about 20 minutes.

This is probably my favorite thing that I cook on the grill.  It comes of the grill and tastes like candy (it really does have a sweet crust from the brown sugar).  If you've never tried salmon on the grill you really should try it and let me know what you think!

Thanks for humoring me with you're time!

Comments