Black Dog Brisket

All of my love, all of my love......yep the name of this recipe is a tribute Zepplin!


Everything about this brisket turned out great and since I wrote down my timeline today I can share it!  Definitely feel like I'm stepping up my beef game in the smoker.  But I'll spare you Jimmy Page style solo of words as to its quality.

Ingredients:
13 lb Brisket (point and flat connected)
Smokey Bey's Black Dog Rub
Franks Red Hot Wing Sauce - this is to be used as the pre-rub slather and I picked up this technique from Aaron Franklin.
2 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar - to be used as the spritz

So this blog may be short on words because I'm going to use a time line and show photos.  If the process wasn't clear contact me and tell me so.

5:35 am - coffee is made, folks this is the first and most important step of the day!

5:45 am - the smoker is LIT!!!

6:15 am - the Brisket has been trimmed (I like to trim excess fat prior to smoking so that I don't lose bark by discarding fat during the carving process), slathered, and rubbed.

(When you Trim make sure you do a good job to keep the meat smooth so that Smoke can flow over it evenly)


7:30 am - Brisket in the smoker, smoker temp 250F

9:30 am - First Spritz, smoker temp 250 F

12:00 pm - Second Spritz, smoker temp 250F

1:30 pm - Third Spritz, smoker temp 250F, internal Brisket temp 175F


3:00 pm - Final Spritz, smoker temp 275F

4:00 pm - Internal temp is at 201. It's time to wrap in foil, wrap in a towel, and place in a cooler to rest until dinner time.















5:30 pm - Separated the point from the flat. Cubes the point to make burnt ends. (Gave the burnt ends a coat of BBQ sauce)


5:50 pm - Burnt ends placed back in the smoker.

6:30 pm - Burnt Ends out of the smoker.



6:45 pm - The flat has been sliced.

10:00 pm - the smoker has been cleaned up and put back in the garage.



This is a little bit different that my usual blogs so I hope you enjoyed.  I've got a Whole Lotta Love for this brisket and I didn't have to go Over the Hills and Far Away to get it!


Comments