Brisket Chili


Goodness,  it’s been over two years since I’ve added to this blog.  Life has just happened and there hasn’t been time to blog about smoking experiences.  I promise I’ve still been firing up the smoker every chance I get.  But a friend is coming off of six week plant based challenge and chose me as his “meat man”.  So, I’m swinging for the fences.

For this one I’m going to do something a little bit different.  Instead of providing the recipe and giving directions I’m going to describe the the experience.  For the recipe you’ll either have to contact me or buy the cookbook that I found the recipe in; Secrets To Smoking On the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker and Other Smokers.


Yes, this chili does include four different meats.  It has 1lb of smoked brisket, 1 lb of hamburger, 1/2 lb of chorizo, and 1/2 lb of Italian sausage (I’m substituting for Linguica).  I’ve long wanted to blog about this recipe because it was an instant favorite.  Kendra makes great chili and even she said, “you always take everything I do great and find a way to do it better.” 

This recipe is a little complicated from the logistics side because I either have to have left over brisket in the freezer plan to smoke a brisket in advance of making the chili.  I always make this recipe in an old stock pot that I don’t mind getting really dirty (it must go into the smoker).

I will combine all of the ingredients in the stock pot while the smoker is getting up to temp.  Once the ingredients are assembled and the smoker is ready I will add a chunk of wood to the smoker and place the stock pot in the smoker (uncovered) for an hour.  At the hour mark the lid goes on the pot and continues to simmer for one more hour.  What comes out is pure magic!

To say I’m excited for dinner tomorrow evening is a bit of an understatement!

I’ve only ever entered it in a chili cook off at church, but none the less it’s undefeated in all categories.  One year it took down spiciest (it’s not a burn your mouth heat), most creative, and tastiest.


Thanks for reading, I’ll try not to stay away for two years this go round!

Comments