Grilled Pork Steaks - Sweet Meat

It’s been a couple of years since I’ve posted a rock themed grilling blog, but the wait is no more.  There may not be a more St. Louis cut of meat than the pork steak. Instantly I knew the them had to be KSHE. KSHE 95 is a St. Louis icon and the greatest radio station of all time (this is not debatable), I still stream it daily from Springfield. So, Let’s Get Rocked!





I’ve intended to blog about pork steaks for sometime now. Recently I had a friend ask me have you ever had a pork butt steak? I nearly dropped dead on the spot.  I kindly informed him that  indeed I had. Growing up they were staple in our home (pork butts as well as KSHE) and I still grill them a few times a month; Even The Losers Get Lucky Sometimes. This is truly a Working Man cut.

What you need:
Olive oil or mustard
Smokey Bey’s BBQ Rub (Brown Sugar!)
Pork Steaks
(I know, I know, I didn’t list bbq sauce.  I’ve come to prefer mine with dry rub only. But hey, Go Your Own Way.)

Alright, Turn The Page, it’s time to fire up the grill. You’ll want to create a two zone fire for both direct and indirect closing. I like to have the grill about 500 degrees to cook pork steaks.

While the fire is getting going (I’m not Hank Hill, this is a purely charcoal operation), it’s time to prep the meet.  Slather the pork steaks with mustard or olive oil and the apply your dry rub of choice.

When the grill is ready it’s time to start cooking.  This part is actually pretty simple; Same Old Song and Dance.  We are going to cook the pork steaks on the indirect side of the grill for 9 minutes on each side (18 minutes total). Then place the pork steak directly over the heat source for roughly 2 minutes each side (4 minutes total), the idea here is to add some char but not too much.  That fat strip on the good side of the steak is best if blackened.





Every time I cut into that fat strip I’m both Thunderstruck and On Top of the World.  This was fun and I hope you’ve enjoyed it, but it’s Time For Me to Fly.

Comments